This is a fun project that works up quickly.
Pattern Book: Corticelli Yarn Book No. 18, c. 1922
Pattern Title: Crocheted Tuxedo No. 21A
Pattern Available Online at: http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/
I really can’t say enough wonderful things about the Antique Pattern Library. The folks who created this site have gone so far above and beyond; gathering and saving patterns that might otherwise be forgotten. There’s a tremendous amount of work involved in scanning and uploading files; some in color. I, personally, am grateful. If you’re not familiar with their website, please visit them and read their home page. The library catalog is extensive and constantly growing, so keep checking back. You may even be able to volunteer or donate to this charitable organization.
This is my 2012 rendition of a 1922 art deco tuxedo jacket. I loved all the patterns in this book, but this one really jumped out at me. I know vintage patterns can be difficult to follow, but if you know filet, you’ll understand this pattern. If you want to learn filet crochet, check out my tutorial at the top of this page 😉
The color chart of Roaring Twenties’ fashion is interesting. I opted to forego the sun-kissed orange, navy blue and Kerry green of the original pattern. You can use whatever colors you like.
For a sweater size 2, I used the following materials:
4 sk of Royale size 10 crochet cotton thread in “burgundy” and 2 sk of same in “fudge brown”. #1 steel hook (2.75mm).
As the pattern indicates, construction begins at the bottom and works up. I started with the back bottom trim and split the design to make the two front trims. To keep the symmetry of the trim, I added one row of sc in brown before switching to burgundy. The first row of burgundy was done in the back loops of the preceding sc and was entirely cm. Then I worked the alternating open/closed meshes upward creating the strip-like pattern. There were no specific instructions for shaping, so I did all the increases and decreases at the seam in closed mesh (cm); the largest being 9 dc. When the back and front panels were completed, I hand sewed it brown or burgundy to match; creating a “vest”. The neck strip was worked separately and sewn in the same manner.
Tip #1: Work a row of sc around the vest’s arms and count the number of stitches (mine was 100) that way you’ll know where you need to be at the top of the arm. If you’re off, you can always ease in the stitches. For a 3/4 sleeve, I used the same section of the design as I did with the front trim of the vest; starting at the bottom trim of the arm and working up.
Tip #2: Work the arms at the same time.
The burgundy section of the vest was 61 rows and the arms were 31, but this pattern can easily be lengthened and widened to fit any shape or size.
Below is a chart for the original pattern. The only thing I did different was to put 2 closed mesh together with 1 open mesh between, otherwise this is really airy and open. The double cm makes a huge difference, while still keeping the style of the original. Cheers, Ann