This is my 2013 rendition of a 1949 Venetian Collar. I really like this pattern. It was difficult to follow and I couldn’t get it to work, but I made some adjustments and managed to finish the piece “in-the-style-of” using techniques that worked for me. The result is not identical: 6 petals vs. 7 and I could not squeeze in another and still keep it flat. I think you have to use much smaller thread; perhaps a 30 or 40 weight. I used DMC Perle Cotton in size 8, which is similar to US size 20 thread. I made this in navy blue for a silver v-neck sweater. Matching cuffs are included in the original pattern.
The original pattern is just 2 triangles and a single row of filet across to connect in back. I added a 3×11 filet grid to join the two sides, followed by 8 rows of open mesh for drape in back. No edging was given; I did a sc with ch-3 picots along each outer mesh. The collar works up quick and uses approx. 15g of DMC perle #8. The finished piece is thin and comfortable. Tip: Add a hook and eye clasp to secure at the front or use a brooch.
The Venetian flower motif would look great on just about anything; as an edging, applique or thread embellishment. I’m sure it could be worked in yarn too, although the sts might have to be decreased… I haven’t tried that.
This is a video tutorial uploaded to YouTube, so you can pause and follow along. The pictures show how it should look after each step.