Irish Crochet Motif – Cinquefoils
by Ann Reillet
In heraldry, Cinquefoil means hope and joy.
- Size 20 fine crochet thread (or size 8 perle)
- #10 (1.15mm) steel hook
- scissors, needle for weaving tail in
- Flat Center, dc Motif
- Ch 10, sl st in 10th ch from hook to form ring
- Rnd 1: Ch 3 (counts as dc), dc in ring 29 times (=30 dc), join to 3rd ch of 1st dc
- Rnd 2: *Ch 6, sk 1, tc in next dc, ch 6, sk 1, sl st in next two dc, *Repeat around (=5petals & 10 spaces), join.
- Rnd: 3: **In next petal first sp work 2sc-2hdc-2dc-2 tc, tc in tc, ch 3, sl st in top of tc. In 2nd sp of this petal, work 2tc-2dc-2hdc-2sc, sl st in sl st betw. petals. **Repeat around
- Raised Center, dc Motif
ch 14, join with sl st to the 1st ch to form ring, ch 1, 28 sc in ring, join with sl st, ch 1, 30 hdc in ring over sc, join to front loop of 1st hdc
working in the front loop only, alternate sc, dc all around, join with sl st in back loop
working in back loops only, *sl st 4 times, then ch 4, dc in next back loop, ch 4, sl st in next back loop, *repeat around
- in each sp work 8 or 9 dc, picot at top (ch4, sc in top of last dc made)
- Padded Center, sc Motif
Over tip of 4th finger (pinky) wrap thread 7 times, slide off. 30 sc over padding ring, join to 1st sc
*ch 6, sk 1, tc, ch 6, sk 1, sl st in next two; *continue around, join
*8 sc in 1st sp, sc in tc, 8 sc in 2nd sp (=1 petal), sl st betw petal, *Repeat around.