This is a vintage crochet design often seen in edgings or as a pattern for scarfs, afghans, and belts. It is shown here as a detachable arm cuff.
With Lighter Thread Color (shown in cream size 5 with #1 [2.75mm) hook)
- ch 8, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each ch to end (=7 sc), ch 2 (does not count), turn
- dc in back loop of same st and in next 6 sts (=7 dc), ch 2, sc in same sc as last st, turn
- 5 sc in sp, 1 sc in each of the next 7 dcs, ch 2, turn
4 etc. Repeat steps 2 & 3 for desired length.
For last row, add button hole on Row 2 with dc in first 2 sts, ch 3, sk 3, dc in last two st, followed by step 3 working 3sc over the ch3 sp. At end, sc across the bottom for straight edge. End. Break Thread. Weave in tails. Attach/Sew Button.
- With darker thread color (shown in Yarns Plus chocolate 10/2 cone with #5 [1.90mm] hook), attach to 1st sc on bottom edge, sc in back loop of each st around, join with sl st,
- ch 1, sc in same st, *ch 3, sk 2, 3-dc-tog, ch 3, sk 2, sc, *repeat to end, join with ch 3, sl st
- Alternate this tog from prev. [ch3-2dc-tog], **ch 3, sc, ch 3, 3-dc-tog, **repeat to end, join with ch 3, sl st,
To increase: add an extra ch or dc or both
To decrease: subtract one ch or dc or both
8 etc. Repeat steps 6 & 7 for desired length
For last row, add a sc around the bottom placing 4 or 5 sc in each ch 3 sp. End or add another pattern [shown in 4dc in first st, sk 3, or, 4dc in next st, join with sl st, sl st to center, ch3, 3dc in same st, 4dc in next st, and continue. To end, sc around the bottom; and sc-dcr or add an elastic stay.