Dentille d’Irlande, La Mode Illustre, 10 Janvier 1904
Crochet Corner for Napkins
DMC Perle No. 8 Thread (Rose and Yellow), Presencia Finca Perle No. 12 Thread (Fern & Purple) Size 11 steel crochet hook.
1904 French Pattern for a Venetian Square:
Note: Venetian Crochet is characterized by a ch back with sc forward, thus, the work is turned several times mid row.
Rnd 1: Ch 10, join with sl st to 1st ch to form ring, ch2
Rnd 2: 24 dc in ring, join with sl st to 1st dc, ch1
Note: 24/4=6 sts available for decoration less 1 st between.
Rnd 3: sc in same, sc in next 2 sts, *[ch5, turn, sl st in same, ch1, turn, 9sc over ch5sp, sl st], sc in next 2 sts [ch5, turn, sk3, sl st in 4th sc, ch5, sk 3, sl st in 4th, ch5, sk 3, sk1, sl st in next dc, ch1, turn, 6 sc over 1st ch5sp, 7sc over 2nd ch5sp, 6sc over 3rd ch5sp, sl st, sc in next 3 sts] *Repeat, join with sl st to 1st sc, sl st in next st, ch1
Rnd 4: *working in 1st ch5sp over prev rnd: [sc-hdc-3dc-hdc-sc], working in 2nd ch5sp over prev rnd: [sc-hdc-5dc-hdc-sc], working in 3rd ch5sp over prev rnd: [sc-hdc-3dc-hdc-sc], sl st between and *Repeat
Arnica Flower (Arnica Cordifolia)
- Rnd 1: Ch 3, 22 hdc in 1st ch (color change)
- Rnd 2: ch1, sc in back loop, *ch3, sk 1, sc in back loop, *repeat around, join with sl st in 1st sc
- Rnd 3: *sl st in ch3sp, ch4-2tr-ch4-sl st in same, *repeat around. End. Break thread long, use tail to sew atop center of square.
3-Tier 6-Petal Irish Roses with 1st Rnd of Net Edging
- ch 5, join with sl st to 1st ch to form ring, ch 1
- Rnd 1: 12 sc in ring, join with sl st to 1st sc, ch 1
- Rnd 2: sc in same, *ch3, sk1, sc in next, *repeat, join with sl st to 1st sc, ch 1
- Rnd 3: in each ch3sp work: sc-3dc-sc, at end join with sl st in back (behind) 1st row between petals
- Rnd 4: *ch 4, sl st in next back loop between petals, *repeat around, join. ch1
- Rnd 5: in each ch4sp work: sc-5dc-sc, at end join with sl st in back loop between petals
- Rnd 6: repeat Rnd 4
- Rnd 7: in each ch4sp work: sc-7dc-sc, end with join betw petals
- Rnd 8: ch1, sc in same, ch3, sc in same first st to form picot, *ch3, sc-ch3-sc in center dc, ch3, sc-ch3-sc between petals, Join at center dc picot to Venetian Square with ch1-sc in petal of square-ch1 *repeat around. Join, End.
3 Small Leaves Sans Stem, Sewn to Join
ch 7, sc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc, dc, dc, dc, hdc, ch 2, sc in 2nd ch from hook, having rotated for oval, hdc in hdc, dc in each of the next 3 sts, hdc, sc, sl st across,
ch1, sc in same, sc in each st of the next 7 sts, add 2 extra to turn at tip, sc in each remaining sts, join, end, break thread long, made 3 leaves, use tails to sew together and to the square and roses.
Align finished square to napkin corner, sew, cut corner toward the crochet for hem, double fold back toward napkin and sew. Add an edging around napkin perimeter.
There are many ways to arrange the motifs for other uses, like motifs in baby shoes, or as an applique on jeans.